Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dad's visit!!!


Sorry it has been so long since my last post!

Dad came to visit me two weekends ago, Oct 20-25th...and we had an absolute blast!!
I was so glad to have him here as my first visitor to Barcelona, and I'm pretty sure he fell in love with the city right away :)

Dad stayed at a really gorgeous hotel called Hotel Majestic, in a room equipped with an amazing view of Passeig de Gracia, one of the wealthiest streets in Barcelona and probably all of Spain! We got to do so many things while he was here, including some things I'd never done or seen myself. The first night we just grabbed some dinner in a tiny restaurant and walked around and caught up..I'm starting to realize I miss my family and home more than I expected!! The next few days we managed to hit some great tapas places, and Dad got a pretty extensive culinary "tour" of the normal tapas selections and eating hours here. There even happened to be a food festival, Mercat de Mercats, going on in front of my apartment that weekend! Dad generously invested in some high quality cheese rounds for me and my roommates!!

We went to the Picasso Museum, which was incredible. Only my second art gallery ever, (after Madrid!), and I'm really getting into them! We also toured one of Gaudí's houses on Passeig de Gracia called Casa Battló, which, for lack of a better description, we were obsessed with. The entire interior of the building is made to look as if it is underwater, and there are no edges in the building at all, only curves.
Its safe to say Dad was/is an instant Gaudí fan. Also got to take Dad up to Parc Güell, a mini park/town also designed by Gaudí, that consists of looping trails, amazing panoramic views of the, (my!), city, and covered with mosaics. We went on the most perfect day, sunny and cloudless! Dad and I also went to and toured the (unfinished) Sagrada Familia, Gaudí's final masterpiece that he actually died while working on. You literally could stare and observe and study the facade of the cathedral all day..it is absolutely massive and infinitely detailed. Dad's favorite part was a green tree covered with white doves, while mine were the giant stone snails inching down towers of the cathedral, (yes these along with bunches of fruit, huge colored letters, etc are all over the exterior and somehow still look dignified).



Overall just such a great great weekend with Dad! Miss you already IF you're reading this :)

No comments:

Post a Comment